5 Step Practical Guide to a Divorce by Summons

Fast, Reliable Non Attorney Service

Divorce by Summons Process

Florida divorce by summons

If your relationship with your ex is toxic, then a divorce by summons is probably the best way to go.

What does it mean to get a divorce by summons?

This means that the sheriff or a private process server will have your soon to be ex served the divorce papers.

You will not need any information from your spouse but his home address or the address of his workplace.

Most likely the court will mandate both of you to see a court appointment mediator prior to having a hearing with the judge.

If you need legal advice please contact a divorce attorney.

Steps for a Divore by Summons

Step 1

Prepare your divorce forms

Step 2

Sign your divorce documents in front of a notary

Step 3

File your divorce papers in the courthouse

Step 4

Hire the sheriff or process server in the county your ex lives and get him/her served. Your ex will have 20 calendar days to respond in writing to the court and send you a copy of the response.

Step 5

If your ex did not answer then you need to file a default and motion for default. You will need to contact the court to find out what else you may need to do to schedule a hearing.

How to Save Money

There are different ways to save money when filing for a divorce by summons.

Here is a list of some of them:

  • If you are low income – you can apply for the Application for Indigent Status. If approved this will have the court filing fee waived and the sheriff fee waived as well.
  • You can buy the divorce packet right on the courthouse.
  • We can help you with the whole divorce process until you are divorced for 1 flat fee.

Need our Help with the Divorce by Summons Process?

We have affodable options, click below to get a quote

Get Started

Free Consultation

Call Us or Send Us a Message Below

Call Us Now [Form id=”1″]

From our Blog:


We are not divorce attorneys and do not provide legal advice. Please contact a divorce lawyer to get your legal questions answered. Nothing on this website can be considered legal advice.

More Resources